Visit Kingsport is proud to parter with Model City Taphouse and the Tennessee Department of Tourist Development to host a Tennessee Songwriters Week Qualifying Round once again in 2023.
The qualifier will be held on Tuesday, February 7, 2023 at 6 p.m. at Model City Taphouse in Downtown Kingsport. Sign-ups are now open for songwriters to submit their entries.
Tickets to attend the event will go on sale in January.
What is Tennessee Songwriters Week?
Tennessee Songwriters Week is a celebration of the songwriters and craft that put Tennessee on the map, celebrated the last full week of February each year. The goal of Tennessee Songwriters Week is to support music venues, support songwriters with live performances, drive visitation and inspire travelers to experience the state’s music stories, history, attractions and venues. Qualifying rounds and showcase events are held throughout February, with a chance to perform at the Bluebird Cafe during the finale in March.
- Tennessee Songwriters Week Main Landing Page for Most Up to Date Information
- Tennessee Songwriters Week FAQs
- Tennessee Songwriters Week Official Rules (includes info on prizes, song requirements as well as judges’ scoring information)
- 15, 2022 -Jan. 29, 2023 – Songwriters can start signing up for qualifying rounds across the state (songwriters cannot sign-up and perform at multiple qualifying rounds) For the latest list of qualifying round venues and how to sign up, check out https://www.tnvacation.com/songwriters-week. Songwriters will communicate with venues directly.
- 29 – Feb. 11, 2023 – Songwriters perform at qualifying rounds across the state. Tennessee Tourism and the venues will reach out to collect information from songwriters, including contact information, bio, headshot, lyric sheet of song submission, equipment/tech/av needs and photo and video release form. Select songwriters who win at qualifying rounds will advance to showcase events.
- 19-25, 2023 – Tennessee Songwriters Week Showcases in 7 cities across the state: Lafayette’s Music Room in Memphis, Franklin Theatre in Franklin, The Palace Theatre in Gallatin, Songbirds Foundation in Chattanooga, The Bijou in Knoxville, Ole Red in Gatlinburg and The Down Home in Johnson City. (Tennessee Tourism and venue will contact songwriters regarding next steps re: which venue you will perform at, as well as timing of arrival, check-in info and sound check. Please note, if you win at the showcase event, you will need to fill out a W2 for prize info.
- March 26, 2023 – Finale at The Bluebird Cafe
How Your Song Will be Judged:
- Song Quality scored on a scale of 1-10:Considering lyrical originality, lack of cliches and clarity of the narrative;
- Performance score on a scale of 1-6: Considering instrumental sound (voice or musical instrument), ability of the audience to audibly understand the lyrics and the Entrants connection with the audience
- Entrant must sing one (1) original song not to exceed five (5) minutes which Entrant owns/retains the rights to perform and either wrote or co-wrote. Entrant may sing acapella or have live accompaniment. Light percussion is allowed if there is no set-up time necessary. Entrant may bring up to two (2) performers to play an instrument. Back up tracks are not permitted.
- The original song performed must not disparage any group of persons, religion, be considered inflammatory or inappropriate.
- Each of the seven (7) prize winners will receive a two (2) night hotel stay located near The Bluebird Cafe for date(s) to be determined once Finale is confirmed. Winners will receive two (2) single show tickets to a Saturday, March ?, 2023 show at the Bluebird Cafe. Each of the seven (7) prize winners will also receive a membership to the Nashville Songwriters Association International (NSAI) which will include mentoring sessions, a workshop, and a $100.00 gift card.Finally, each of the seven (7) prize winners will receive a branded commemorative guitar from Taylor Guitars.
Finale at Bluebird Cafe in March 2023
- March 26, 2023
- Finalists will be required to fill out W2 (following showcase from above)
- Finalists may also be filmed or interviewed ahead of the finale that weekend for promotional material for Tennessee Songwriters Week
- Finalists’ guest allotment will be determined by staff of The Bluebird Cafe
Next Steps after Tennessee Songwriters Week
- Please take advantage of NSAI membership opportunities
- Tennessee Tourism to reach out regarding networking opportunities with other songwriters
- Tennessee Tourism to reach out regarding ambassador opportunities and potential opportunities to perform at other festivals and performances across the state
- Tennessee Tourism to invite you to be special guests at Tennessee Songwriters Week 2024 showcase venues where each finalist won to perform one or two original songs